Do you wish your energy bills were lower? Utilities have never been more expensive in Australia than they are today. Fortunately, there are a number of low- or no-cost steps you can take to save money and help the planet.
How to Save on Water
In some parts of the country, water is one of the most expensive costs you can have. To save money on your water bills, rinse and wash laundry with cold water, and whenever possible, only run full loads.
Instead of using water to rinse off your plates, use a fork or knife to scrape off food residue. Check your toilets, taps, and water pipes for leaks and fix any that you find.
For a few bucks, you can save on water costs by installing water-saving tap aerators and shower heads. When you are shaving or brushing your teeth, turn the tap off. Hot water is extra expensive because it uses gas for heating and water.
And, the biggest use of hot water is your shower. So, use a timer to track your shower time and reduce it.
Saving on Heating and Cooling Costs
Staying warm in the winter and keeping it cool in the summer can be a real strain on your wallet. There are some basic ways to adapt your home to make it more habitable when weather conditions cause problems.
- These tips should make it easier to cover your electric and gas utilities:
- Leave blinds and window shades open during the daytime to use the sun to heat your home in the winter. Keep the heat in by closing your window coverings at night.
- Keep air flowing freely by keeping objects, such as furniture, from blocking your registers. Also, vacuum your air vents regularly.
- If there is little floor insulation in your house, you can retain heat and add comfort by using rugs to cover bare floors.
- Use ceiling fans to keep air circulating in the summer to keep you cool and to push hot air down in the winter.
- Save energy by installing a smart thermostat that can automatically adjust your home’s temperature.
- Help your heater and air conditioner work at peak efficiency by regularly replacing or cleaning filters.
- Reflect heat away from your home by using light-color window coverings. You can also reduce the heat entering your home with low-emission films applied to your windows.
Author: Jackie Edwards
To find out how much you could save on your energy bill, call us on 1300 957 721