New NSW Electricity Networks
As of 1st March 2011 the three incumbent electricity suppliers in New South Wales have been split up, with their retail arm (customer facing) being sold to private companies and their network arm continuing to be owned and operated by the NSW Government.
- EnergyAustralia's retail arm has been sold to TRUenergy
- EnergyAustralia's distribution network has changed to AusGrid
- AusGrid site, EnergyAustralia FAQ's
- Integral Energy's retail arm has been sold to Origin Energy
- Integral Energy's distribution network has changed to Endeavour Energy
- Endeavour Energy site, Integral Energy FAQ's
- Country Energy's retail arm has been sold to Origin Energy
- Country Energy's distribution network has changed to Essential Energy
- Essential Energy site, Country Energy FAQ's
What does it mean for customers?
In practical terms nothing changes. In terms of the physical network, the old distribution networks will be slowly rebranded, and customers will see different brands in the streets. In terms of retail, whilst billing and supply does not change, the three incumbent retailers are no longer owned by the government. Meaning customers are more and more likely to shop around, as loyalty will no longer be front of mind.