Once setup, solar systems can provide your business with free electricity. You save money straight away on your bills and in some states you'll be paid for any excess energy you generate and feed into the national grid.
Solar can be used to heat water as well as generate electricity for the rest of your business.
Solar water heaters
Heating water can be one of the biggest energy users in a home and also a small business, solar water heaters can significantly reduce this cost.
The government provides substantial incentives for installing solar systems, these include;
- 50% tax reduction off the cost of a solar system purchase (30% for businesses with turnover greater than $2mm). This is achieved using the governments small businesses general tax break
- Renewable Energy Certificates (REC'S) which accompany solar system purchases and are tradeable.
- Solar credit program for installing grid connected systems.
- Feed in tariffs - In some states it's possible to connect your solar system to the grid and be paid for feeding electricity in.
Other benefits include:
- Solar can save you 50 to 80% of your water heating energy consumption (based on Government approved TRNSYS modelling).
- Reduce your home business greenhouse gas emissions by 3-3.5 tonnes per year.
Solar energy generation
As well as using solar to heat water, solar can be used to generate your business electricity. Businesses that choose to install these solar units will benefit from free electricity.
In certain states you have the ability to feed any excess electricity into the grid. You will receive renewable energy certificates as part of the feed-In scheme that you can then sell.